Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Staying Connected

One of the things I miss the most is time with my friends.

Apparently Graco knows this because I received this email this morning.




Because when I was pregnant, I signed up for every "mommy" newsletter there was (because I couldn't read enough about pregnancy for some reason), I now receive monthly emails from what it seems like 7,000 different vendors (not sure if this would be the most appropriate term, but I digress) daily, weekly, monthly, you get the picture. I get A LOT OF emails.


This edition of "Wisdom From the Heart" really got to my heart. Thus, I am committing a whole blog entry to it.


I really, really miss my friends. I literally live hours and hours away from the majority of them. Of course, Amy is in Athens, Megan is in Woodstock, Kim lives, well, in the same house, and Kristy lives in Gainesville, so I do have some relatively close, but what I miss is having someone that lives IN THE SAME TOWN. I actually don't think there are more than 30 people my age that live within a 10 mile radius of my house.
This article talked about "staying connected with non-parent" friends. I instantly started reading the email, as if it would wave it's magical email wand over me and I would instantly be connected to my friends again. I wish this is the way these things worked. Unfortunately, most of it talked about spending one-on-one time with your friend, which I would love to do but seeing how they all live 8+ hours away, this is not possible. I am terrible at staying in touch. Most of the time I am too tired to have long phone conversations and too busy to write emails. Another reason I suck at it is because if I feel something will emotionally drain me, I shy away from it. Which is coincidentally why I often slack on updating the blog. I am not great about really opening up about how I feel when I blog, which is why most of my entries are solely about Molly Grace and her latest happenings and rarely give you inside into how I really am doing.
I think I'm getting better. I'm starting to get my feet wet, but haven't taken the dive yet, if you will. And here's the reason why...
you guys.
Everyone that reads this blog and comments is such a huge encouragement to me. It makes me feel that I am "staying connected", that I do still have friends, even if they are one blog comment away. Most of you that read this are other mothers with kids about Molly Grace's age and honestly, you are some of the only parents I could call "friends". So whether you know it or not, I call you my "friend" simply because we are "blog buddies". To those of you who are non-parents that read, I also get to stay connected to you by giving you a glimpse of what parenting will be like for you when you experience it one day. And you better believe that I will be reading your blog when that days comes...(you best have one...you know who you are.)
So thanks. Thanks for reading. Thanks for commenting. You don't realize how much it means to me. You don't realize how much it helps me.
I appreciate you.

3 comments:

  1. I understand exactly what you mean. It is definitely a comfort to have people hear what you're saying, even through a venue like blogging or facebook. I always enjoy getting another new mom's perspective... it's definitely comforting to get that validation that you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey darlin! Well, i think we seem to be doing okay! And, you are not alone. The people you miss definitely miss you back. A LOT! I love love love love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww - know that I appreciate you, too! As do others like me. You're an inspiration to me because you let me know that I'm not alone - I'm not the only Single Mommy out there. It's a hard, long road, but it's one that we're conquering! I understand what you mean about feeling distant from your "old friends" by either living further away or simply them not coming around anymore. Just know that you aren't alone and that you have me :). Even if it is just through a computer screen and a keyboard, I'm still here for you and can always be turned to!

    ReplyDelete